It’s hard to believe we’ve arrived at the final month of the year. But what does this mean? It’s the start of summertime of course! Summer on the Mornington Peninsula is all about long days spent at the beach, making the most of the great outdoors and kicking back alongside friends and family with some great food and refreshments. If you are as pumped as we are about the new season, read on to discover how you can explore more here for an epic summer:
In The Great Outdoors
On those sun-drenched summer days, nothing quite beats a splash at one of the much-loved Mornington Peninsula beaches or a journey along one of the region’s scenic walking tracks.
1. Spend the day at one of the many picturesque Port Phillip beaches with the whole family. Mills Beach in Mornington, Mount Martha Beach and Frankston Beach are all top spots for swimming!
2. For those keen surfers, take to the waves at a Mornington Peninsula ocean beach. Portsea Surf Beach and Sorrento Ocean Beach are both popular locations for surfing during the summer season.
3. On foot, follow the Millionaire’s Walk as part of the Sorrento Portsea Artists’ Trail. This is a favourite and must-do for summer!
4. Staying by the water, the Mornington Peninsula Bay Trail and Coastal Walk are both fantastic to follow (especially when there is a sunrise or sunset involved!)
Explore more of the region’s stunning beaches here, and an extensive list of Mornington Peninsula walks here.
Get The Adrenaline Pumping
Whether on land or out to sea, there are so many memorable ways to get the adrenaline pumping on the Mornington Peninsula this season.
5. Unleash the inner thrill seeker with a day out at Enchanted Adventure: The Home Of Tree Surfing in Arthurs Seat and Boneo Discovery Park in Fingal.
6. Test your skills above water with stand up paddle boarding and kayaking experiences. All equipment can be hired from Mornington Boat Hire.
7. Get up close to the region’s precious marine creatures with a unique Mornington Peninsula dolphin swim journey. Polperro Dolphin Swims, Moonraker Dolphin Swims and WaterMaarq each offer memorable eco tours departing from Sorrento.
8. Hop on your bike and take a ride along one of the region’s countless scenic tracks. Make it an even more memorable occasion with a tour from Cycling Vine Tours or Red Hill Trail Co.
If discovery is calling you this summertime, then it's a visit to one (or more) of the Mornington Peninsula’s villages that presents the perfect opportunity for exploration!
9. Look out for boutique shops, coastal-inspired eateries and eclectic cafes in coastline towns. Sorrento, Mornington and Rye are top picks here!
10. Journey further inland to unearth an array of exceptional Mornington Peninsula wineries, cosy dining destinations and colourful retail shops. Red Hill, Main Ridge and Flinders pocket a plethora of great tastes and unique finds.
11. Take a wander through the colourful and captivating outdoor sculpture parks at Pt. Leo Estate in Merricks and Montalto in Red Hill South.
12. Explore more of the lively and vibrant Dromana Habitat, including a visit to the local businesses of Red Hill Candle Co and Peninsula Fresh Seafood.
Take a tour of all the charming Mornington Peninsula villages here.
Chill Out Time
While summer does set the scene for ultimate adventuring, it’s also a time to take it easy and reset for the new year. There’s no right or wrong way to enjoy chill out time, but we’ve got a few ideas here to help get the relaxed vibes going.
13. Beautiful to experience at any time, Mornington Peninsula hot springs are as rejuvenating as they are calming. Alba Thermal Springs & Spa has just recently opened on the Mornington Peninsula. And Peninsula Hot Springs will be open on Christmas Day!
14. Find your way through an inspiring Mornington Peninsula National Park as part of a refreshing back-to-nature experience.
15. Get cosy beneath the stars and catch the latest flick at the Dromana 3 Drive-In. All the family is invited!
16. Swing on over for a game or two at one of the leading Mornington Peninsula golf courses.
17. Get your groove on and check out the extensive Mornington Peninsula live music scene, with showcases throughout all of summer!
Eat And Drink
Who’s hungry? It wouldn’t be an epic summer without some awesome places to pull up a seat and indulge in delicious food and drink.
18. Keep it coastal and visit one of the many seaside restaurants for a delicious feed of locally grown produce and top-notch scenic views.
19. Drop by a Mornington Peninsula cellar door and enjoy your favourite drop alongside seasonal menus and flavours.
20. Make the most of those beautiful sun-shining days with a long and laid-back winery lunch. The piazza at Montalto in Red Hill South and summer deck at Stumpy Gully Vineyard & Restaurant in Moorooduc both make for perfect open-air dining locations.
21. Travel along the vibrant Beer, Cider and Spirits Trail for a thirst-quenching refreshment (and to meet the new generation of local makers!).
22. Graze away with the newly introduced St Andrews Beach Brewery picnics! Set within the picture-perfect apple orchard, enjoy the day with friends, family and of course, great food and craft beverages.
23. And finally, clink a glass of your favourite drink to a summer day well spent at Zigis Bar in Flinders. Ocean-inspired tapas are on offer here too!